Local News Revenue Initiative
Newsrooms in New Mexico are facing unprecedented financial challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to offering emergency support to individual journalists, in partnership with the Rio Grande chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, the New Mexico Local News Fund is now accepting applications for emergency general operating support.
Although this financial support is intended to reduce the current strain on newsrooms, NMLNF sees a strategic opportunity to begin to identify new sources of revenue to encourage a more sustainable ecosystem for local news in New Mexico.
Newsrooms can apply for grants from $500 to $2,500 a month for six months. Funds can be used for any operational needs but newsrooms will be required to:
- Work on a revenue plan for both current and future fundraising with the NMLNF
- Share insights from successful fundraising efforts with other newsrooms by working with NMLNF on blog posts, online webinars or meetings with newsroom partners across the state
To qualify for support, newsrooms must meet the following criteria:
- Primarily produce journalism for a local audience (not marketing, arts and culture programming, etc)
- Demonstrate financial hardship due to COVID-19
- Provide a budget for the grant and later a final report on how funds were used
Funding will be available through November 30, 2020
Applications are now closed and grant recipients will be announced shortly